Bipro Dhar, PhD, PEng
Area of Study / Keywords
Anaerobic Digestion Microbial Electrochemical Technologies Dark Fermentation Bioenergy Resource Recovery Waste and Wastewater Treatment Environmental Engineering and Science
Please check Dr. Dhar's Research Group Website for updates on the latest publications and research opportunities.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, 2016
- M.E.Sc., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Western University, 2011
- B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2008
Selected Awards, Honors & Recognitions
- Petro-Canada Emerging Innovator Award, University of Alberta, 2021
- APEGA Summit Early Accomplishment Award, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), 2020
- National Research Award (For Best Published Research on Environmental and Biological Resources field; Collaborative work with Sultan Qaboos University), Oman, 2020
- Engineering Early-Career Research Award, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alberta, 2018/2019
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2016 (declined)
- Philip H. Jones Award, Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ), 2016
- Laurence Hamlin Memorial Award for classroom teaching, University of Waterloo, 2015
- NSERC PGS, 2013-2016
- President’s Graduate Scholarship, University of Waterloo, 2013-2016
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS), Canada, 2013 (declined)
- Chandrashekar Memorial Award in Sustainable Energy, University of Waterloo, 2013
- Editor, Water Environment Research
- Vice-President, (Western Canada), Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ), 2022-Present
- Regional Director (Western Canada), Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ), 2021-2022
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports, 2021-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Applied Biochemistry & Biotechnology, 2021-Present
- Member, Research Themes Advisory Council, Future Energy Systems, October 2020-Present
- Conference Co-chair, 1st Virtual Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, July 23-24, 2020.
- Guest Editor to Water Environment Research: Special issue on ‘Anaerobic Treatment in Canada’, expected to be published in 2020.
- Editorial Board Member, Processes (2020-2021)
- Conference Chair, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, May 10, 2019, Edmonton, Canada.
- Member, Environment Panel for Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence (ORF-RE), Government of Ontario, Canada, 2019.
- Scientific Committee Member and Session Chair, 54th Central Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, Toronto, Canada, February 2019.
- Scientific Committee Member and Session Chair, 53rd Central Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, Toronto, Canada, February 2018.
- Program Co-organizer (Environmental Engineering and Waste Management/Oil Spill Recovery) and Session Chair, 67thCanadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Edmonton, Canada 2017.
- Scientific Committee Member and Session Chair, 52nd Central Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, Toronto, Canada, February 2017.
- Professional Engineer, Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Member, Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ)
- Life Member, International Bioprocessing Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)
- Member, International Water Association (IWA)
Broad Research Interests
Dr. Dhar's research program focuses on bioenergy and resource recovery from organic waste and high-strength wastewater. His research areas include microbial electrochemical technologies (METs), anaerobic digestion (AD), dark fermentation, and physicochemical processes.