Area of Study / Keywords
- Doctor of Philosophy/Mining Engineering, 1993-1998 Queen's University, Kingston/Canada
- Master of Science/Mining Engineering, 1986-1992 University of Mining and Metallurgy, Krakow/Poland
- Manager of Geotechnical Engineering - Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources - Government of British Columbia, Victoria, Canada
- Associate Professor of Mining Engineering - Missouri University of Science and Technology, Department of Mining Engineering, Rolla, Missouri, USA
- Assistant Professor of Mining Engineering - University of Missouri - Rolla, Department of Mining Engineering, Rolla, Missouri, USA
- Mine Planning Engineer - Cameco Corporation, McArthur River Mine, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Professional Engineer, registered in province of Saskatchewan, Canada since 1999. (Registered in Alberta since 2008.)
- Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
- 2011-Engineering Teaching Award, University of Alberta
- 2006 - Sustained Excellence in Teaching, The School of Materials, Energy & Earth Resources, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2003-2005 - Award for Sustained Excellence in Laboratory Instructions, The School of Materials, Energy & Earth Resources, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2003-2004 - The Dean's Award for Innovation in Teaching, The School of Mines and Metallurgy, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2004 - Chi Omega Outstanding Professor Award.
- 2001 – Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists - Exceptional Engineering/Geoscience Project Award – awarded to team of engineers for design and construction of McArthur River uranium mine.
My research areas at the University of Alberta concentrate around Geomechanical Mine Design for Underground Diamond Mines in Canada development and developing long term prediction methods for rockbursting using machine learning methods. I am also pursuing my research interests in the development of thermo insulating barriers for civil and mining applications. Another, area of my interest lays in the ground improvement techniques. My latest achievement in this area is the development of laboratory setup for testing jet groutability of soils and weak rocks. To my knowledge this is one of a kind laboratory setup which can simulate work of in situ jet grouter with capacity of making soilcrete columns up to 2 meters in diameter. Generally, field trial jet grouting is necessary in order to properly design soilcrete properties but this approach is expensive, time-consuming and site- dependent. More importantly, it does not always lead to desirable results. Although many researchers have been studying the design of soilcrete properties, no reliable and accurate measuring system exists that is accepted by all. Most researchers have studied soilcrete diameter and very few have reported soilcrete mechanical properties. Another factor that makes this method more attractive is the shortage of a good ground condition. Given the fast growth of urbanization and industrialization, as well as rapid developments of municipal construction in major Alberta cities such as Edmonton and Calgary, every available patch of ground may in use for construction purposes.
Recent Peer Reviewed Publications
- Pu, Y., Apel, D.B, Lingga, B., 2018, Rockburst prediction in kimberlite using decision tree with incomplete data, Journal of Sustainable Mining, ISSN 2300-3960, Elsevier, Vol. 17, Issue 3, Pages 158-165.
- Pu, Y., Apel, D.B., Wang, C., Wilson, B., 2018, Evaluation of Burst Liability in Kimberlite Using Support Vector Machine, Acta Geophysica, Springer, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11600-018-0178-2, pp.10.
- Lingga, B.A., Apel, D.B., 2018, Study on Shear Properties of Cemented Rockfill, International Journal, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Elsevier, doi: 10.1016/j.jrmge.2018.03.005.pp. 8.
- Pu, Y., Apel, D., Xu, H., 2018, A Principal Component Analysis/Fuzzy Comprehensive Evaluation for Rockburst Potential in Kimberlite, Pure and Applied Geophysics, DOI 10.1007/s00024-018-1790-4, Publisher Name Springer International Publishing Print ISSN 0033-4553 Online ISSN 1420-9136, 10.1007/s00024-018-1790-4, pp. 11.
- Babaei Khorzoughi, M., Hall R., Apel, D.B., 2018, Enhanced rock mass characterization using measurement while drilling (MWD) techniques, International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, Elsevier, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2018.01.001, pp. 1-6.
- Sepehri, M., Apel, D.B., Hall, R.A., 2017, “Prediction of mining induced surface subsidence and ground movements at Diavik diamond mine using full 3D elastoplastic finite element model”, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 100, December 2017, pp.73-82.
- Leveille, P., Sepehri, M., Apel, D.B., 2017, Rockbursting Potential of Kimberlite: A Case Study of Diavik Diamond Mine, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, pp.1-9, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s00603-017-1294-z.
- Derek B. Apel, Babak Nikbakhdan, Robert Hall, 2017, Proofing Concept of Thermoinsulating Enclosure for Underground Heat Storage Systems, International Journal of Science and Research Methodology, Vol. 7 (1):17-23.
- Sepehri, M., Apel, D.B., Liu, W.V. 2017, “Stope stability assessment and effect of horizontal to vertical stress ratio on the yielding and relaxation zones around underground open stopes using empirical and finite element methods”, Archives of Mining Sciences, Vol 62, No 3, pp. 653-669, DOI 10.1515/amsc-2017-0047.
- Derek B. Apel, Babak Nikbakhdan, Robert Hall, 2017, “Proofing Concept of Thermoinsulating Enclosure for Underground Heat Storage Systems”, International Journal Of Science and Research Methodology, Ijsrm.Human, Vol. 7 (1): 17-23.
- Liu, W.V., Apel, D.B., Bindiganavile, V.S., 2016, “Cylindrical models of heat flow and thermo-elastic stresses in underground tunnels”, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, Volume 26 Issue 8., DOI: 10.1108/HFF-10-2014-0331
- Liu, W.V., Apel, D.B., Bindiganavile, V.S., 2016, “Analytical and Numerical Modelling for the Effects of Thermal Insulation in Underground Tunnels" International Journal of Mining Science and Technology , Volume 26, Issue 2, March 2016, Pages 267–276.
- Nikbaktan B., Apel, D., Ahangari, K., 2015,“Jet Grouting: Mathematical Model to Predict Soilcrete Column Diameter Part I”, International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering IJMME, Springer International, 2015, Int. J. of Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol.6, No.1, pp.46 - 56
- Nikbakhtan B., Apel, D., Ahangari, K, 2015,“ Nikbakhtan, B.; Apel, D.; Ahangari, K. ,“Jet Grouting: Mathematical Model to Predict Soilcrete Column Diameter Part II”,. International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering, January 2015, Vol. 6 Issue: 1 p57-71, 15p.
- Liu, W.V., Apel, D.B., Bindiganavile, V.S., 2014, “Thermal properties of lightweight dry-mix shotcrete containing expanded perlite aggregate”, Journal of Cement & Concrete Composites, Science Direct, Vol. 53, pp. 44-51 Language: English. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.06.003,
- J. Szymański, S. Płaneta, R.S.Suglo, D. Apel Apparatus for fine coal separating water cleaning, and thickening from coal washing waters” - Przeglad Górniczy - Vol. 70, nr 1 (2014) - BazTech – Yadda
- Usmani, T., Szymanski, J., Apel, D.B., 2014, "Optimization of LHDs operation at the extraction level in a block cave project", Int. J. Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol. 5, No.2 pp. 138 – 151.
- Sepehri M, Apel DB, Szymanski J (2013) Full Three-dimensional Finite Element Analysis of the Stress Redistribution in Mine Structural Pillar, J Powder Metallurgy Min 3: 119. doi:10.4172/2168-9806.1000119
- Apel, D.B., Szymanski, J.K., 2012 "Ventilation Systems at High Grade Uranium Deposits", Cuprum Technical Publications for Mining Sciences and Technology, nr 2 (59) pp. 5-18.
- Rahmani, N, Nikbakhtan, B., Ahangari, K., D. Apel (2012) “Comparison of empirical and numerical methods in tunnel stability analysis”, International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Taylor & Francis 26:3, pp. 261-270.
- Liu, W.V., Apel, D.B., Bindiganavile, V., 2011, "Thermal characterization of a lightweight mortar containing expanded perlite for underground insulation" , 2011, International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering (IJMME), pp 55-71, Vol. 3, No. 1.
- Szymanski, J.K., Planeta, S.,Apel, D.B., 2011 "Large Trucks Rear Suspension Pressures Monitoring in Oil Sands Conditions %u2013 an Artificial Neural Network Approach", 2011, Cuprum Technical Publications for Mining Sciences and Technology, nr 2 (59) pp. 5-18.
- Apel, D.B., Hashisho, Z, 2011, "Chapter 21.3:"Radiation Control", SME Mining Engineering Handbook, 3rd Edition, Published by Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc., pp.615-620.
- Nutakor, D., Apel, D.B., 2009, “Jackleg Drill A comparison of two instructional approaches in teaching underground rock bolt installation with a Jackleg Drill”, Int. J. Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol. 23, No.4, pp. 248-260.