Dr. Christine Guptill, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Occupational Therapy, received her occupational therapy training at Western Michigan University, and her PhD at Western University in Rehabilitation Sciences. She holds a Status Only appointment at the University of Toronto’s Music and Health Research Collaboratory, and an Adjunct Appointment in the School of Music at University of Ottawa. She was a founding member of the Performing Arts Medicine Clinic at the Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic in Edmonton, Alberta. She was also a founding member of the Health Advisory Team at National Youth Orchestra Canada (NYOC) in 2007, and provided primary care occupational therapy to the orchestra from 2011 to 2015. In 2012, she was honoured to receive a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of her work at NYOC. In 2013-14, Christine was the Research Fellow at the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists. In her spare time, she performs as a freelance oboist.
Dr. Guptill's program of research focuses on work disability prevention, with a specific focus on the health and occupational performance of musicians. This population focus includes elements of health promotion, workplace health and disability management, physical and psychosocial rehabilitation, and occupational science, to name a few.
Current research projects:
1. Canadian trial of an assessment protocol for music students (MusicCohort)
2. Canadian trial of Sound Performers, an online health literacy intervention for tertiary music students, funded by the Worldwide Universities Network and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
3. Design and delivery of course for health professionals and educators in Performing Arts Medicine, including assessment battery for Dancers, Instrumentalists, Vocalists and Actors (D.I.V.A.)
4. Scoping review of depression in entrepreneurs
5. Scoping review of the impact of stretching for dancers and musicians
For a list of my publications, please see ORCID.
To retrieve open access copies of my publications, please search my last name at: https://era.library.ualberta.ca/
Dr. Guptill is currently accepting students at the masters, PhD and post-doctoral level.