Hector Rendon, PhD
Area of Study / Keywords
Media representations Minoritized populations EDI Interdisciplinary collaboration Data analytics
- Ph.D. in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media at North Carolina State University
- M.A. in Digital Media at Hochschule für Künste Bremen, Germany
- B.A. in Communication and Journalism at National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
Teaching at Syracuse University
- Race, Gender, and the Media
- News Industry and Diversity
- Entertainment Narratives and Diversity
Teaching at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly known as Ryerson University)
- Master of Arts Project Development (Graduate course)
- Media Audiences
- Emerging Media Markets
- Media History
Teaching at Texas Tech University
- Independent Studies in Media and Communication (Graduate course)
- Master’s Final Project (Graduate course)
- Studies in International Communication (Graduate course)
- Global Journalism Issues and Approaches
- Digital Media Production
- Communicating in a Global Society
- International Creative Media Industries
Teaching at North Carolina State University
- International and Cross-cultural Communication
- Multimedia Production and Digital Culture
- Research Methods
- Electronic Media Writing: Theory and Practice
Research - Grants and Awards
- 2021. Grant from the Syracuse Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Engagement
- 2020. Latino/Latin American Communication Research Award, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC).
- 2018-2020. Grant from the Laboratory for Analytic Sciences.
- 2018. Texas Tech University's Grant Program.
- 2018. Notable Research Award – Symposium NCSU.
- 2014-2015. Digital Humanities Scholar – HASTAC.
- 2012-2015. Fulbright Grant.
- 2012-2016. National Council of Science and Technology Grant.
- 2008-2009. DAAD Grant. German Academic Exchange Service.
Research - Presentations (Refereed)
SELECTED REFEREED PRESENTATIONS
Johnson, M., & Rendon, H. (2022, May). Mexican and U.S. Information Subsidies in Border State Journalism: Media Research in a Risk Arena. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Pre-Conference "Comparative Communication Research in a Globalized Risk Arena," Paris, France.
McLaughlin, B., Wilkinson, K., Rendon, H., & Martinez, T.J. (2020, August). Deliberating Alone: Immigration and “Rational” Arguments against Political Talk. Paper presented at AEJMC, 2020 Virtual Conference.
Domínguez, G., & Rendon, H. (2020, August). Cinema and the ethnic divide: Contemporary representations of Mexico and Mexicans in Hollywood Films. Paper presented at AEJMC, 2020 Virtual Conference.
Rendon, H. (2019, November). Academic resources for teaching media in multicultural environments. Paper presented at the Broadcast Education Association conference, Mérida, Mexico.
Rendon, H. (2019, August). Digital advocacy for and by ethnic groups. Panel presented at the AEJMC 102nd annual conference, Minorities and Communication Division, Toronto, Canada.
Rendon, H., & Johnson, M. (2019, February). International media representations: Bilingual news coverage of Latin American child migrants. Paper presented at the Hispanic/Latino Media and Marketing International Conference, Arlington, TX.
Johnson, M. A., & Rendon, H. (2018, May). Mexican news coverage of the Trump wall and U.S. immigration proposals. Paper presented at the International Communication Association conference, Prague, Czech Republic.
Rendon, H. (2018, May). Assessing media reliability. Poster presented at the Postdoctoral Research Symposium, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
Rendon, H. (2017, September). Migrant workers in North Carolina and problem framing in the context of data analytics. Paper presented at the E&PDE International Conference, Oslo, Norway.
Jameson, J., & Rendon, H. (2016, November). A social network analysis of scientific collaboration in an inter-organizational research laboratory. Paper presented at the National Communication Association conference, Philadelphia, PA.
Rendon, H., & Johnson, M. A. (2016, March). Latin American migration and international news coverage. Paper presented at the Brown Conference on Latin American Studies, Charlotte, NC.
Rendon, H., & Johnson, M. A. (2015, May). Media coverage of children at the border: A ‘minor’ problem. Paper presented at the International Communication Association conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
De Moya, M., Rendon, H., & Johnson, M. A. (2015, May). Frame building in immigration news: Ethnic and general market news about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. Paper presented at the International Communication Association (ICA) conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Rendon, H. (2014, November). Portable uprisings: Mobile phone and internet penetration in developing and developed countries with digital social movements. Paper presented at the National Communication Association 100th Conference, Chicago, IL.
Wiley, S. & Rendon, H. (2014, October). Media topologies and inequality in Latin America. Presented at the conference Uneven Mobilities: Access to activities, people and places in contemporary cities, Santiago, Chile.
De Moya, M., Rendon, H., & Johnson, M. A. (2013, August). Prolonging the danger: How mass and ethnic media framed the “immigrant threat” in the context of DACA. Presented at the Association of Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, Washington, D.C.
Admin - Service (Administrative)
- Research Cluster Member: Social Differences and Social Justice Research Cluster, Syracuse University. 2021-2022.
- Committee Member: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility Committee, Syracuse University. 2021-2022.
- Referee: International Communication Association (ICA). 2013-Present.
- Referee: Newspaper Research Journal. 2018-Present.
- Committee Member: Departmental Hiring Committee, Toronto Metropolitan University. 2020-2021.
- Committee Member: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Toronto Metropolitan University. 2020-2021.
- Committee Member: Scholarships and Awards Committee, Toronto Metropolitan University. 2020-2021.
- Assistant Director: Harris Institute for Hispanic and International Communication, Texas Tech University. 2018-2020.
- Committee Member: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Texas Tech University. 2018-2020.
- Committee Member: Graduate Grade Appeal Committee, Texas Tech University. 2018-2020.
- Referee: Mass Communication and Society journal. 2018-2020.
- Organizer: Media & Marketing International Conference. 2018-2019.