Area of Study / Keywords
Biomedical Engineering Integrated Circuits and Systems Microsystems and Nanodevices
Jie Chen received his B.Sc degree in Electrical Engineering from Fudan University, China, and his M.Sc and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Maryland at College Park, USA. He is currently a professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and an adjunct professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Alberta. He is a visiting Professor at Yale University for 2018. Dr. Chen is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, a Fellow of American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering as well as a Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada. He was elected as a Board of Governors (2022-2024) and an IEEE Distinguished Lecturer of the Circuits and Systems Society (2016-2017). His supervised students received the Best Student Paper award at the IEEE/National Institutes of Health (NIH) Life Science Systems & Applications Workshop 2007 for their contributions on glucose-coated gold-nanoparticles to enhance radiation cytotoxicity. His co-supervised student also received the best poster award by the International Union of Crystallography at the Conference of Biology and Synchrotron Radiation (BSR), Hamburg, Germany, 2013 in recognition of the most novel use of synchrotron radiation or free-electron lasers in biology. He has supervised or co-supervised over 80 highly qualified personnel. Among them, some have started their own companies; some continued their graduate studies (one entered Stanford University, and one joined Yale Medical University). One student became a faculty member at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Chen is the recipient of several prestigious awards including the Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Maryland in 2020, the Killam Annual Professorship Award 2015-2016 (one of the highest honours to a professor in Canadian Universities for outstanding contributions in teaching, research and community services), McCalla Professorship Recipient 2016-2017 (One of the highest honours given to a professor at the University of Alberta), and the Canada Foundation for Innovation Leaders' Opportunity Award in 2011. He received the Member of the Year Award from the Association of Chinese Canadian Professors in recognition of his outstanding leadership in 2012. He is the technical committee chair of Bionanotechnology and BioMEMS of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS). He served as a technical committee chair of IEEE Therapeutic Systems and Technologies (TC-TST) of EMBS and a steering committee member for the IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine. He is an associate editor for the IEEE Open Journal of EMBS and IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Circuits and Systems. He also served as an associate editor for IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, and IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, and served as a guest editor of several special issues. His collaborative research on the design of a miniaturized ultrasound device for intra-oral dental tissue formation was featured in a Reader’s Digest article on major medical breakthroughs in Canada in 2006. The invention has been reported in over 20 news/media publications worldwide, and was cited in a front-page report in Canada's national newspaper, The Globe and Mail, June 28, 2006. The device received Health Canada approval in 2016.
Dr. Chen helped establish two Bell-Lab spin-off companies. One company focused on developing the 4th-generation wireless network was acquired by QUALCOMM in San Diego in 2005. The other produces digital HD-radios installed in most brands of cars worldwide and sold in most retail stores. A University of Alberta student licensed Dr. Chen's co-invented technology (ultrasound for intra-oral dental tissue formation) and established University spin-off companies. The company has achieved global sales of its products. As a result, they were honored with the ASTech Year of Research Award in 2023, the highest recognition for a research group in Alberta, Canada.
(for more details, please visit https://binaryresearchgroup.squarespace.com/)
Dr. Chen’s interdisciplinary research areas include:
- VLSI and Low-Power Circuits: Designing low-power fault-tolerant nanoscale devices and circuits based on probabilistic Markov Random Field theory. Developing custom-design chips for energy harvesting from surrounding Radio Frequency.
- Artificial Intelligence: A new research area for biomedical informatics. For instance, applying machine-learning techniques to detect depression based on speech and facial micro-motion.
- MEMS/NMES-based Microfluidic Biosensors: Designing portable impedance-based and colorimetric point-of-care biosensors for detecting genomic/proteomic/metabolic biomarkers in bodily fluids (urine, blood, etc.). The applications include infectious diseases (i.e., COVID-19 and Avian Influenza) screening, environmental toxin testing (such as E. coli and Salmonella), pathogen monitoring for food safety, and plant infections (such as Sclerotinia sclerotiorum) screening at an early stage. Recently, his group is carrying on single-cell sequencing microwell-chip design for cancer screening and personalized cancer treatment (Chimeric antigen receptor T cell therapies).
- Biomedical and Healthcare Devices: Developing a low-intensity pulsed-ultrasound technology platform to stimulate cell growth (with applications in cell therapy, tissue engineering, mental health, and antibody production), as well as a wearable LIPUS human-machine device for treating depression.
- Functional Nanomaterials: Building functional nanomaterials for in vivo gene/peptide/microRNA delivery (especially across the blood-brain barrier), targeted cancer imaging and treatment, gene transformation of agricultural products, and water filtration (removal of microorganisms, organic chemicals, and heavy metals).
3 books, 243 peer-reviewed journal and conference proceeding papers. Many papers are published either in IEEE top journals (Proceedings of IEEE, impact factor 10.69, IEEE Transaction of Affective Computing, impact factor 10.51, IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, impact factor 5.173) and flagship conferences, or in high-impact interdisciplinary journals such as PNAS (impact factor: 12.78), ACS NANO (impact factor: 15.88), Physical Review Letters (impact factor: 8.462), Biosensors and Bioelectronics (impact factor: 10.257), Small (impact factor: 13.281), Nature Microsystems & Nanoengineering (impact factor: 7.127), Nature npj Mental Health. According to a Google Scholar Search with H-index of 43 and i10-index of 116. The highest citation number of a paper exceeds 888, and the total citation number is over 8053.
1. MEMS/NMES-based Microfluidic Biosensors:
· Book: Jie Chen, Scott MacKay, Yiwei Feng, “Bionanotechnology: Engineering Principles and Practices”, McGraw Hill, ISBN 1260464148, April 2022
· Ahmed A. Khorshed, Oleksandra Savchenko, Jing Liu, Lian Shoute, Jie Zeng, Shifang Ren, Jianxing Gu, Naresh Jha, Zhong Yang, Jiucun Wang, Li Jin and Jie Chen, “Development of an Impedance-based Biosensor for Determination of IgG Galactosylation Levels”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2023
· Jeffrey T Borenstein, Gerard Cummins, Abhishek Dutta, Eyad Hamad, Michael Pycraft Hughes, Xingyu Jiang, Hyowon (Hugh) Lee, Kin Fong Lei, Xiaowu (Shirley) Tang, Yuanjin Zheng and Jie Chen, “BioNanotechnology and BioMEMS (BNM): State-ofthe-Art Applications, Opportunities, and Challenges", Lab-on-a-chip, 2023
· Zuyuan Tian, Zhipeng Yuan, Pedro A. Duarte, Mohamed Shaheen, Shaoxi Wang, Lacey Haddon and Jie Chen, “Highly Efficient Cell-Microbead Encapsulation Using Dielectrophoresis-Assisted Dual-Nanowell Array”, PNAS Nexus, 2023
· Lian C. T. Shoute, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Yuhao Ma, Pedro A. Duarte, Cole Edwards, Ran Zhuo, Jie Zeng, Yiwei Feng, Carmen L Charlton, Jamil N. Kanji, Shawn Babiuk, Jie Chen “Label-free Impedimetric Immunosensor for Point-of-Care Detection of COVID-19 Antibodies", Nature, Microsystems and Nanoengineering, 2022
· Pedro A. Duarte, Lukas Menze, Zuyuan Tian, Oleksandra Savchenko, Bingxuan Li and Jie Chen, “Dielectric analysis of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum airborne inoculum by the measurement of dielectrophoretic trapping voltages using a microfluidic platform”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics: X, 2022
· Yeganeh Khaniani, Mahdi Ghadiri, Yuhao Ma, Jie Zeng, David Wishart, Shawn Babiuk, Carmen Charlton, Jamil N. Kanji and Jie Chen, “A gold nanoparticle-protein G electrochemical affinity biosensor for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies – a surface modification approach”, Scientific Reports, 2022
· Jie Zeng, Pedro A. Duarte, Oleksandra Savchenko, Lian Shoute, Yuhao Ma, Yeganeh khaniani, Shawn Babiuk, Ran Zhuo, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Carmen Charlton, Jamil N. Kanji, Lorne Babiuk, Cole Edward and Jie Chen, “An impedimetric biosensor for COVID-19 serology test and modification of sensor performance via dielectrophoresis force”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2022
· Yuhao Ma, Daniel To, Jie Zeng, Lian C. T. Shoute, Shawn Babiuk, Ran Zuo, Carmen Charlton, Jamil N Kanji, Lorne Babiuk, Jie Chen, “Improving immunoassay detection accuracy of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies through dual modality validation”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics: X, 2022
· Lukas Menze, Pedro A. Duarte, Lacy Haddon, Michael Chu and Jie Chen, "Selective Single-cell Sorting Using a Multisectorial Electroactive Nanowell Platform", ACS Nano, 16, 1, 211-220, 2022
· Pedro A. Duarte, Lukas Menze, Lian Shoute, Jie Zeng, Oleksandra Savchenko, Jingwei Lyu, and Jie Chen, "Highly Efficient Capture and Quantification of the Airborne Fungal Pathogen Sclerotinia Sclerotiorum Employing a Nanoelectrode-activated Microwell Array", ACS OMEGA (to appear in 2022)
· Daniel T. Bacheschi, William Polsky, Zachary Kobos, Shari Yosinski, Lukas Menze, Jie Chen, and Mark A. Reed, “Overcoming the sensitivity – throughput tradeoff in Coulter counters: a novel side counter design”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2020,
· Pedro A. Duarte, Lukas Menze, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Shari Yosinski, Zak Kobos, Riley Stuermer, Mark Reed, Jian Yang, Xiujie S. Li and Jie Chen, “Single Ascospore Detection for the Forecasting of Sclerotinia Stem Rot of Canola”, Lab on a Chip, 2020
· Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Afreen Anwar, Scott Mackay, Marcus Tamura, Manzoor A. Shah, Damase P. Khasa, Ruth R. Montgomery, Albert I. Ko, Jie Chen, “DNA Aptamer-based Non-faradaic Impedance Biosensor for Detecting E. Coli”, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1107 (22), 135-144, 2020
· Remko van den Hurk, Masoud Baghelani, Jie Chen, Mojgan Daneshmand and Stephane Evoy, “Al-Mo Nanocomposite Functionalization for Membrane-based Resonance Detection of Bovine Herpesvirus-1”, Sensors & Actuators: A. Physical 296, 186-191, 2019
· Gasser N. Abdelrasoul, Scott Mackay, Saad Y. Salim, Kathleen P. Ismond, Marcus Tamura, Charfeddine Khalifa, Emma Mannan, Donghai Lin, Tanushree Mandal, Ruth R. Montgomery, David S. Wishart, Jie Chen and Rachel G. Khadaroo, “Non-Invasive Point-of-Care Device to Diagnose Acute Mesenteric Ischemia”, ACS Sensor, 3(11) 2296-2302, 2018
· Lian C. T. Shoute, Afreen Anwar, Scott MacKay, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Donghai Lin, Zhimin Yan, Anh H. Nguyen, Mark T. McDermott, Manzoor A Shah, Jian Yang, Jie Chen and Xiujie S. Li, “Immuno-impedimetric Biosensor for Onsite Monitoring of Ascospores and Forecasting of Sclerotinia Stem Rot of Canola”, Scientific Reports, 8(12396), 2018
· Scott MacKay, Gaser Nagah, Marcus Tamura, Donghai Lin, Zhimin Yan and Jie Chen, “Using Impedance Measurements to Characterize Surface Modified with Gold Nanoparticles”, Sensors, 17(9), 2141, 2017.
· Scott MacKay, Peter Hermansen, David Wishart and Jie Chen, “Simulations of interdigitated electrode interactions with gold nanoparticles for impedance-based biosensing applications”, Sensors, 15(9), 22192, 2016.
2. Biomedical and Healthcare Devices:
· Xuanjie Ye, Zitong Wang, Rebekah van Bruggen, Xin-Min Li, Yanbo Zhang, and Jie Chen, “Low-intensity Pulsed Ultrasound Enhances Neurite Growth in Serum-starved Human Neuroblastoma Cells”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, 2023
· Darian Volarić, Gordana Žauhar, Jie Chen, Ana Terezija Jerbić Radetić, Olga Cvijanović Peloza, “Stimulation of critical size bone defect repair after application of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound”, excellent poster award in Ultrasonics 2023. · Xuanjie Ye,Tianxiang Jiang,Yuhao Ma,Daniel To,Shuren Wang and Jie Chen, “A Portable, Low-cost and High-throughput Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Device for Point-of-care Biomarker Detection", Biosensors and Bioelectronics: X, 2023
· Zhongyuan Fang, Fei Gao, Haoran Jin, Siyu Liu, Wensong Wang, Ruochong Zhang, Zesheng Zheng, Xuan Xiao, Kai Tang, Liheng Lou, Kea-Tiong Tang, Jie Chen and Yuanjin Zheng, “A Review of Emerging Electromagnetic-Acoustic Sensing Techniques for Healthcare Monitoring", IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 2022
· Xuanjie Ye, Lexi Wu, Kaining Mao, Yiwei Feng, Jiajun Li, Lei Ning, and Jie Chen, “Bioimpedance Measurement of Knee Injuries using Bipolar Electrode Configuration”, IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 2022
· Huining Guo, Glen Baker, Kelly Hartle, Ester Fujiwara, Junhui Wang, Yanbo Zhang, Jida Xing, Haiyan Lyu, Xin-Min Li, and Jie Chen, "Exploratory Study on Neurochemical Effects of Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound in Brains of Mice", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 2021
· Oleksandra Savchenko, Jida Xing, Mark Burrell, Robert Burrell and Jie Chen, “Impact of Low-intensity Pulsed Ultrasound on the Growth of Schizochytrium sp. for Omega-3 Production”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2020
· Xiaoxue Jiang, Wai Tung Ng and Jie Chen, “A Miniaturized Low-Intensity Ultrasound Device for Wearable Medical Therapeutic Applications”, IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, special issue on Wearable and Flexible Integrated Sensors for Screening, Diagnostics, and Treatment, 13(16) 1372-1382, 2019
· Xiaoxue Jiang, Oleksandra Savchenko, Yufeng Li, Shiang Qi, Tianlin Yang, Wei Zhang and Jie Chen, “A Review of Low-intensity Pulsed Ultrasound for Therapeutic Applications”, Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 66(10) 2704-2718, 2019
· Jida Xing, Shrishti Singh, Yupeng Zhao, Yan Duan, Huining Guo, Chenxia Hu, Allan Ma, Rajan George, James Z. Xing, Ankarao Kalluri, Isaac G. Macwan, Prabir Patra, and Jie Chen, “Increasing Vaccine Production Using Pulsed Ultrasound Waves”, PLOS ONE, 12(11), 2017
· Michael C. Schultz, Jian Zhang, Xian Luo, Oleksandra Savchenko, Liang Li, Michael Deyholos and Jie Chen, “Impact of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound on Transcript and Metabolite Abundance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae”, Journal of Proteome Research, 16(8), 2975-2982, 2017
· Oleksandra Savchenko, Jida Xing, Xiaoyan Yang, Quanrong Gu, Mohamed Shaheen, Min Huang, Xiaojian Yu, Robert Burrell, Prabir Patra and Jie Chen, “Algal Cell Response to Pulsed Waved Stimulation and Its Application to Increase Algal Lipid Production”, Scientific Reports, 7(42003), 2017
· Yupeng Zhao, Jida Xing, James Z. Xing, Woon T. Ang, and Jie Chen, “Applications of Low-intensity Pulsed Ultrasound to Increase Monoclonal Antibody Production in CHO Cells Using Shake Flasks or Wavebags,” Ultrasonics, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2014, 1439–1447. Invited to speak at the Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s Annual Recombinant Protein Expression and Production meeting, Jan. 2015 in San Diego, USA.
· Mohamed Shaheen, Michael Choi, Woon Ang, Yupeng Zhao, James Xing, Ray Yang, Jida Xing, Jian Zhang and Jie Chen, “Application of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound to Increase Bio-ethanol Production,” Renewable Energy Volume 57, 2013, 462-468
· Peng Xu, Hilal Gul-Uludag, Woon T. Ang, Xiaoyan Yang, Min Huang, Leah Marquez-Curtis, Locksley McGann, Anna Janowska-Wieczorek, James Xing, Eric Swanson and Jie Chen, “Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound-mediated stimulation of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell viability, proliferation and differentiation in vitro,” Biotechnology Letters, 2012, 34(10):1965-1973
· Yupeng Zhao, Woon T. Ang, James Xing, Jian Zhang, and Jie Chen, “Applications of Ultrasound to Enhance Mycophenolic Acid Production,” Ultrasound in Med. & Biol., 2012, 38(9):1582–1588
· James Z Xing, Xiaoyan Yang, Peng Xu, Woon T. Ang, and Jie Chen, “Ultrasound Enhanced Monoclonal Antibody Production,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2012, 38(11):1949–1957
· W. T. Ang, Cristian Scurtescu, Wing Hoy, Tarek El-Bialy, Ying Tsui and Jie Chen, “Design and Implementation of Therapeutic Ultrasound Generating Circuit for Dental Tissue Formation and Tooth-Root Healing,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 2010, 4(1)
3. Functional Nanomaterials:
· Meng Xiao, Jinlin Wu, Duanduan Chen, Chenghu Wang, Yanfen Wu, Tucheng Sun and Jie Chen, “Ascending Aortic Volume: A Feasible Indicator for Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Elective Surgery?”, Acta Biomaterialia (impact factor 10.63), 2023
· Wei Zhang, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Oleksandra Savchenko, Abdalla Abdrabou, Zhixiang Wang, Jie Chen, “Ultrasound-assisted Magnetic Nanoparticle-based Gene Delivery”, PLOS One, 2020
· Anh H. Nguyen, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Donghai Lin, Hamid Maadi, Junfeng Tong, Grace Chen, Richard Wang, Afreen Anwar, Lian Shoute, Qiang Fang, Zhixiang Wang and Jie Chen, “Polyethylenimine-coated Iron Oxide Magnetic Nanoparticles for High Efficient Gene Delivery”, Applied Nanoscience, 8(4) 811-821, 2018
· Wuyang Jin, Donghai Lin, Anh H. Nguyen, Gaser N. Abdelrasoul, Jian Chen, Arthur Mar, Qiang Fang, Yutian Wang and Jie Chen, “Transfection of Difficult-to-transfect Rat Primary Cortical Neurons with Magnetic Nanoparticles”, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 14(9) 1654-1664, 2018
· Weiting Gu, Jie Chen, Prabir Patra, Xiaoyan Yang, Quanrong Gu, Lingxuan Wei, Jason P. Acker, and Beihua Kong, “Nanoformulated Water-Soluble Paclitaxel to Enhance Drug Efficacy and Reduce Hemolysis Side Effect”, Journal of Biomaterials Applications, 32(1):66-73, 2017
· Martin Niestroj, Jie Chen, Dean Chapman, Darrell Mousseau, Brian Bewer, Nicholas Bolibruch, and Josef Hormes, “Experimental-focused radio-sensitizing studies of gold nanoparticles in the low-to-middle X-ray regime,” Biology and Synchrotron Radiation (BSR) - Hamburg/Germany September 2013. Received the best poster award by the International Union of Crystallography. Martin Niestro, Brian Bewer, Darrell Mousseau, Dean Chapman, Jie Chen and Joseph Hormes, “A Monochromatic X-ray Irradiation System for In Vitro Studies at Synchrotron Beamlines”, Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express, 2(5), 2016
· Wilson Roa, Xiaojing Zhang, Linghong Guo, Andrew Shaw, Xiuying Hu, Yeping Xiong, Sunil Gulavita, Samir Patel, Xuejun Sun, Jie Chen, Ronald Moore, and James Z. Xing, “Gold-nanoparticles sensitize radiotherapy of prostate cancer cells by regulation of cell cycle,” Nanotechnology, 2009, 20:375101
· W. Zhu, Q.W. Shi, X.R. Wang, Jie Chen, Jinlong Yang, Jianguo Hou, “Shape of disorder broadened Landau subbands in grapheme,” Physical Review Letters, 2009, 102:056803
· Tao Kong, Jie Zeng, Xiaoping Wang, Xiaoyan Yang, Jing Yang, Steve McQuarrie, Alexander McEwan, Wilson Roa, Jie Chen and James Z. Xing, “Enhancement of radiation cytotoxicity in breast cancer cells by localized attachment of gold nanoparticles”, Wiley-VCH SMALL Journal, 2008, 9:1537-1543
4. VLSI and Low-Power Circuits
· Shuren Wang, Xiaoxue Jiang, Heng Pan, Xuanjie Ye, Jie Chen, "An Integrated RF Energy Harvesting System with Broad Input Voltage Range and High Power Conversion Efficiency", The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 2023.
· Yufeng Li, Yan Li, Deqiang Cheng, Fan Yang, Xuan Zeng and Jie Chen, “Improved Low-Power Cost-Effective DCT Implementation Based on Markov Random Field and Stochastic Logic”, IEEE Trans. on Video technology, 30(10), 2019Yufeng Li, Yan Li, Deqiang Cheng, Fan Yang, Xuan Zeng and Jie Chen, “Improved Low-Power Cost-Effective DCT Implementation Based on Markov Random Field and Stochastic Logic”, IEEE Trans. on Video technology, 30(10), 2019
· Yan Li, Yufeng Li, Han Jie, Jianhao Hu, Fan Yang, Xuan Zeng, Bruce Cockburn and Jie Chen, “Feedback-based Low-Power Soft-Error Tolerant Design for Dual Modular Redundancy”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integrated Systems, 26(8), 2018
· Yan Li, Yufeng Li, I-Chyn Wey, Fan Yang, Xuan Zeng, Xiaoxue Jiang and Jie Chen, "Low-Power Noise-Immune Nanoscale Circuit Design Using Coding-based Partial MRF Method", IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, 53(8), 2018
· I-Chyn Wey, You-Gang Chen, Changhong Yu, An-Yeu (Andy) Wu and Jie Chen, “Design and implementation of cost-effective probabilistic-based noise-tolerant VLSI circuits,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems – I: Regular Papers, 2009, 56(11)
· Iris R. Bahar, Jie Chen and Joe Mundy “A Probabilistic-based Design Methodology for Nanoscale Computation,” IEEE/ACM International conference on computer-aided circuit design, San Jose, USA, November 2003
5. Artificial Intelligence
· Wei Zhang, Kaining Mao, and Jie Chen, “A Multimodal Approach for Detection and Assessment of Depression Using Text, Audio and Video”, Phenomics, 2023
· Kaining Mao, Yuqi Wu, Jie Chen, "A Systematic Review on Automated Clinical Depression Diagnosis", Nature npj Mental Health, 2023
· Yuqi Wu, Kaining Mao, Liz Dennett, Yanbo Zhang, Jie Chen, "A Systematic Review of Machine Learning in PTSD Studies: Evaluating AI-based Automated PTSD Diagnosis", Nature npj Mental Health, 2023
· Kaining Mao, Deborah B. Wang, Tiansheng Zheng, Rongqi Jiao, Yanhui Zhu, Bin Wu, Lei Qian, Wei Lyu, Jie Chen and Minjie Ye, “Analysis for Automated Clinical Depression Diagnosis in a Chinese Corpus”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, 2023
· Kaining Mao, Wei Zhang, Deborah Baofeng Wang, Ang Li, Rongqi Jiao, Yanhui Zhu, Bin Wu, Tiansheng Zheng, Lei Qian, Wei Lyu, Minjie Ye, and Jie Chen, “Prediction of Depression Severity Based on the Prosodic and Semantic Features with Bidirectional LSTM and Time Distributed CNN”, IEEE Transaction on Affective Computing, Feb. 2022
· Dan Jin, Philippe Henry, Jacqueline Shan, Jie Chen, “Identification of chemotypic markers in three chemotype categories of cannabis using secondary metabolites profiled in inflorescences, leaves, stem bark, and roots”, Frontiers, 7, 2021
· Dan Jin, Philippe Henry, Jacqueline Shan, Jie Chen, “Classification of cannabis strains in the Canadian market with discriminant analysis of principle components using genome-wide single nucleotide polymorphisms”, PLOS One, 6, 2021
· Shi-ang Qi, Qian Wu, Zhenpu Chen, Wei Zhang, Yongchun Zhou, Kaining Mao, Jia Li, Yuanyuan Li, Jie Chen, Youguang Huang, Yunchao Huang, “High-resolution Metabolomic Biomarkers for Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis”, Scientific Reports 11 (11805), 2021
· Dan Jin, Philippe Henry, Jacqueline Shan, Jie Chen, “Identification of Phenotypic Characteristics in Three Chemotype Categories in the Genus Cannabis”, HortScience, 56(4), 2020
· Dan Jin, Kaiping Dai, Zhen Xie, Jie Chen, “Secondary Metabolites Profiled in Cannabis Inflorescences, Leaves, Stem Barks, and Roots for Medicinal Purposes. Scientific Reports. 10(1):1-14, 2020
Over the past years, I teach "Engineering of Nanobiotechnological Systems"