Lawrence Richer, MD, MSc
Vice Dean Research, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry - Office of Research Admin
- (780) 492-0051
2J2.04 University of Alberta Hospital
8440 112 StreetEdmonton ABT6G 2B7
Area of Study / Keywords
concussion health services emergency department migraine autonomic nervous system headache orthostatic intolerance real-world evidence postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
I am a Pediatric Neurologist and Professor in the Department of Pediatrics. I serve as Vice-Dean Research (clinical) in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and Center Director of the Northern Alberta Clinical Trials and Research Center.
- Pediatric migraine and headache disorders
- Pediatric autonomic disorders and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
My research focusses on three interrelated areas:
- Evaluation of functional changes in the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and brain in children with migraine, brain injury, and pediatric autonomic disorders like Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). The ANS is a dynamic system responsible for the maintenance of a stable internal environment and responding rapidly to external challenges or threats. Functional changes in the ANS are observed in the above disorders are initially adaptive, but these changes may become maladaptive over time - often as the disorder becomes chronic or with severe injury. Changes in the ANS may be predictive of undesirable clinical outcomes providing an early warning sign to consider earlier intervention.
- Development and evaluation of new therapeutics for children. A better understanding of the pathophysiologic mechanisms of disorders like migraine, concussion, or POTS may present novel therapeutic targets. Treatments intending to be used in children need to be tested in children for their efficacy and safety.
- Innovative clinical trials and real-world studies. The evidence gap for treatments in children may be reduced when existing health data and innovative or pragmatic study designs are employed.
Wong KO, Klarenbach SW, Martins KJB, Chue P, Dursun SM, Snaterse M, Guigue A, So H, Luu H, Vu K, Richer L
2022 July; 22 (1):444 10.1186/s12888-022-04075-y
Richer LP, Ali S, Johnson DW, Rosychuk RJ, Newton AS, Rowe BH
2022 June; 62 (6):681-9 10.1111/head.14307
Ali S, Hopkin , Poonai N, Richer L, Yaskina M, Heath A, Klassen TP, McCabe C on behalf of the KidsCAN PERC Innovative Pediatric Clinical Trials No OUCH Study Group & the KidsCAN PERC Innovative Pediatric Clinical Trials Methods Core
2021 March; 22 (206) 10.1186/s13063-021-05164-1