- PhD – Physical Education and Sport Studies – University of Alberta – 1994
- MSc – Physical Education (Sport Psychology) – University of Saskatchewan – 1987
- BSc – Zoology/Environmental Science – Brandon University – 1981
- Former professional swim coach with Head Coaching appointments in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta 1976 – 1996
- Graduate training in sport and exercise psychology at the University of Saskatchewan and University of Alberta
- Initial academic appointment as Research Associate at the Alberta Centre for Well-Being (now the Centre for Active Living) 1993-1996
- Member of the Faculty of Health Science at Central Queensland University from 1997 – 2010
- Appointed Dean, Faculty of Physical Education at the University of Alberta in 2010
- Related Appointments:
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Health & Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology.
- Member, National Health and Medical Research Council, Research Translation Faculty
- Honorary Professor, University of Stirling, Scotland, UK.
- Member, Social Dimensions of Health Institute, University of Dundee, Dundee Scotland.
- Research Associate, Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- Past Member, Swimming Canada Board of Directors
- Past Member, Coaching Association of Canada Board of Directors
- Member, ParticipAction Board of Directors
- Fellow, Australian Sports Medicine Federation
My research focuses on the promotion and understanding of health-related physical activity
• Lead on the Australian 10,000 Steps project 2001 - 2010 (http://www.10000steps.org.au/)
• Lead on the Canadian UWalk project 2013 – present (https://uwalk.ca/)
- Teaching KRLS 716 – Sport and Recreation Leadership
- Currently supervising/co-supervising 2 graduate students
- No longer accepting applications from graduate students for supervision