Area of Study / Keywords
Augmented Reality Technology in Education Dental Education H5P Whiteboard Animation Virtual Reality Online education Histology Bioinformatics Resilience
Dr. Sharmin is an Assistant Teaching Professor at the Foundational Science Discipline. She has completed her PhD in Physiology, Cell and Development Biology from the University of Alberta, followed by Postdoctoral fellowships at McGill and the University of Alberta.
Dr. Sharmin is a recipient of the outstanding teaching award from the Interdepartmental Science Students' Society (ISSS) of the University of Alberta.
Dr. Sharmin's current research focuses:
- Application of whiteboard animation in dental education.
- H5P for interactive dental education.
- Application of Augmented reality in dental education.
- Development of multipurpose interactive 3D head model.
- Application of virtual reality for teaching and learning of embryology.
- Development of a web-based interactive microscope for teaching and learning of histology.
- Student engagement in online education.
- Bioinformatics in dental research and education.
- Understanding the resilience of dental hygiene students.
- Gamification in Dental Education
Dr. Sharmin teaches Biomedical Foundations in the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and Dental Hygiene (DH) programs.
Dental Hygiene (DH) Courses:
OBIOL 302: Oral Biology II (Course Director)
OBIOL 202: Oral Biology I
OBIOL 203: Survey of Biochemistry
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) Courses:
DDS 511: Foundations of Dentistry
DDS 512: Dental Disease and Risk Management
DDS 513: Patient Assessment-I (Course Director)
DDS 515: Patient Assessment-II
DDS 521: Oral Health and Nutrition
DDS 516: Diagnose and Manage Early Disease
Sharmin, N., & Chow, A. K
Canadian Journal of Dental Hygiene (CJDH). 2022 June; 56 (2):90-97 https://www.cjdh.ca/
Sharmin, N., Chow, A. K., Votta, D., & Maeda, N
Healthcare Informatics Research. 2022 April; 28 (2):170-175 10.4258/hir.2022.28.2.170
Application of augmented reality to develop teaching tools for dental education
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD), 54rd Annual Summer Students' Research Day, University of Alberta. 2021 October;
Chow A.K., Sharmin N.
Healthcare Informatics Research. 2021 October; 27 (4):335-340 10.4258/HIR.2021.27.4.335
Sharmin N., Chow A.K., Dong A.S., Milos N.C.
Healthcare Informatics Research. 2021 April; 27 (2):146-152 10.4258/HIR.2021.27.2.146