Professor, Faculty of Science - Earth & Atmospheric Sciences Admin
- (780) 492-6569
3-020 Centennial Ctr For Interdisciplinary SCS II
11335 Saskatchewan Drive NWEdmonton ABT6G 2H5
- Catuneanu, O., Galloway, W.E., Kendall, C.G.St.C., Miall, A.D., Posamentier, H.W., Strasser, A. and Tucker, M.E., 2011. Sequence Stratigraphy: Methodology and Nomenclature. Newsletters on Stratigraphy, v. 44/3, p. 173-245.
- Catuneanu, O., Abreu, V., Bhattacharya, J.P., Blum, M.D., Dalrymple, R.W., Eriksson, P.G., Fielding, C.R., Fisher, W.L., Galloway, W.E., Gibling, M.R., Giles, K.A., Holbrook, J.M., Jordan, R., Kendall, C.G.St.C., Macurda, B., Martinsen, O.J., Miall, A.D., Neal, J.E., Nummedal, D., Pomar, L., Posamentier, H.W., Pratt, B.R., Sarg, J.F., Shanley, K.W., Steel, R.J., Strasser, A., Tucker, M.E. and Winker, C., 2009. Towards the standardization of sequence stratigraphy. Earth-Science Reviews, v. 92, p. 1-33.
- Catuneanu, O., 2006. Principles of Sequence Stratigraphy. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 375 pp.
- Catuneanu, O., Khalifa, M.A. and Wanas, H.A., 2006. Sequence stratigraphy of the Lower Cenomanian Bahariya Formation, Bahariya Oasis, Western Desert, Egypt. Sedimentary Geology, v. 190, p. 121-137.
- Catuneanu, O., Guiraud, R., Eriksson, P.G., Thomas, R., Shone, R. and Key, R. (eds.), 2005. Phanerozoic Evolution of Africa. Journal of African Earth Sciences, v. 43/1-3, 410 pp.
- Catuneanu, O., Martins-Neto, M. and Eriksson, P.G., 2005. Precambrian sequence stratigraphy. Sedimentary Geology, v. 176/1-2, p. 67-95.
- Catuneanu, O., 2004. Retroarc foreland systems - evolution through time. Journal of African Earth Sciences, v. 38/3, p. 225-242.
- Catuneanu, O., 2004. Basement control on flexural profiles and the distribution of foreland facies: the Dwyka Group of the Karoo Basin, South Africa. Geology, v. 32/6, p. 517-520.
- Catuneanu, O., 2002. Sequence stratigraphy of clastic systems: concepts, merits, and pitfalls. Journal of African Earth Sciences. v. 35/1, p. 1-43.
- Catuneanu, O., Hancox, P.J., Cairncross, B. and Rubidge, B.S., 2002. Foredeep submarine fans and forebulge deltas: orogenic off-loading in the underfilled Karoo Basin. Journal of African Earth Sciences, v. 35/4, p. 489-502.
- Catuneanu, O., 2001. Flexural partitioning of the Late Archaean Witwatersrand foreland system, South Africa. Sedimentary Geology, v. 141-142, p. 95-112.
- Catuneanu, O., Sweet, A.R. and Miall, A.D., 2000. Reciprocal Stratigraphy of the Campanian-Paleocene Western Interior of North America. Sedimentary Geology, v. 134/3-4, p. 235-255.
- Catuneanu, O., Sweet, A.R. and Miall, A.D., 1999. Concept and styles of reciprocal stratigraphies: Western Canada foreland basin. Terra Nova, v. 11, p. 1-8.
- Catuneanu, O. and Eriksson, P.G., 1999. The sequence stratigraphic concept and the Precambrian rock record: an example from the 2.7-2.1 Ga Transvaal Supergroup, Kaapvaal Craton. Precambrian Research, v. 97, p. 215-251.
- Catuneanu, O., Hancox, P.J. and Rubidge, B.S., 1998. Reciprocal flexural behaviour and contrasting stratigraphies: a new basin development model for the Karoo retroarc foreland system, South Africa. Basin Research, v. 10, p. 417-439.
- Catuneanu, O., Beaumont, C. and Waschbusch, P., 1997. Interplay of static loads and subduction dynamics in foreland basins: Reciprocal stratigraphies and the “missing” peripheral bulge. Geology, v. 25/12, p. 1087-1090.
- sedimentology, stratigraphy, basin analysis
My current research focuses on the stratigraphy and evolution of the Western Interior foreland system of North America, as well as of several other sedimentary basins of Precambrian to Phanerozoic age, worldwide. Sedimentary successions are analyzed at local to regional scales, with the aim of investigating the complex interplay of allogenic and authigenic processes that control the nature and architecture of the stratigraphic record. Of special interest are the external controls on sedimentation. The study of the relative influence of climate, sea-level change and tectonism on sedimentation is at the cutting-edge of stratigraphic research, with relevance to the evaluation of (1) local and global environmental changes in the geological record; (2) origin and evolution of sedimentary basins; and (3) architecture and internal makeup of stratigraphic sequences that fill a sedimentary basin. From an economic perspective, this work rationalizes the distribution of depositional elements, stratigraphic discontinuities, regional coal seams and placer deposits within a sequence stratigraphic framework.
Research techniques include outcrop and core sedimentology coupled with subsurface methods involving interpretation and correlation of well-log and seismic data.
I supervise students along the following themes of research:
- Process sedimentology: paleo-environmental reconstructions in outcrop and subsurface
- Sequence stratigraphy: applications for petroleum, coal and mineral resources exploration
- Basin analysis: interplay of tectonism, sea-level change, climate, and sediment supply
- Magnetostratigraphy: applications for dating and regional correlation