Associate Professor, School of Public Health
- (780) 492-8608
3-269 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
11405 - 87 Ave NWEdmonton ABT6G 1C9
I am a social epidemiologist focused on the social determinants of health, particularly among adolescents, youth, and infants. More specifically, I am interested in studying the relationship between social and economic contextual factors within counties, neighborhoods, and schools, such as income inequality and social fragmentation and behavioral outcomes including physical activity and dietary intake, and other health outcomes such as, cardiovascular disease, depression, and mortality.
PhD, Université de Montréal, 2010
MSc, McGill University, 2003
BSc, McMaster University, 1997
social determinants of health
social and health inequalities
social-economic contextual factors
Current Canadian Institutes of Health Research funded projects include:
- Understanding the Role of Social-Economic Inequality on Deaths Due to Drug Overdose, Suicide, and Alcoholic Liver Disease among adolescents in Canada
- Public Health in a time of Austerity: measuring the divestments in Ontario's public health system and evaluating their impacts on population health and health inequities
- Investigating the potential mitigating role of public health on adolescent health in Ontario during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Inequities in COVID-19 Outcomes: The Mitigating Role of Public Health
- Investigating the mitigating role of Public Health on suicide, drug poisoning, and alcohol-related harm in Ontario, Canada
More information can be found at: www.https://www.emergeresearchlab.com/
- SPH-696 Epidemiology Methods II
- SPH-561 Topics in Public Health (Social Epidemiology)
Currently accepting students for supervision.
Pabayo R, Gauvin L, Barnett TA.
Pediatrics. 128 (2):e404-13
Pabayo R, Dunn EC, Gilman SE, Kawachi I, Molnar BE
J Epidemiol Community Health.. 70 (10):997-1003
Pabayo R, Fuller D, Goldstein RB, Kawachi I, Gilman SE.
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol..
Pabayo R, Kawachi I, Muennig P.
J Epidemiol Community Health.. 69 (5):423-31
School social fragmentation, economic deprivation and social cohesion and adolescent physical inactivity: a longitudinal study.
Pabayo R, Janosz M, Bisset S, Kawachi I.
Plus One. 9 (6):e99154