Professor, Faculty of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering Dept
- (780) 492-6961
10-358 Donadeo Innovation Centre For Engineering
9211-116 StEdmonton ABT6G 2H5
Area of Study / Keywords
Website: http://www.esdlab.mece.ualberta.ca/ Energy And Environment Renewable Energy Energy Storage Numerical simulation of electrochemical systems Polymer electrolyte fuel cell and electrolyzer fabrication characterization analysis and design Cooling tower testing analysis and design Design and optimization of energy systems
- 2015 - 2016 : Sabbatical research visitor, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, US
- 2008 - 2009 : Research Associate, Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation, National Research Council Canada, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 2007 - 2004 : Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
- 2004 - 2002 : M.A.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
- 2002 - 1998 : B. Eng. in Engineering, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
- 2020 Faculty of Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Award
- 2018 Faculty of Engineering Research Award
- 2013 APEGA Early Accomplishment Award
* Analysis and design of fuel cell technologies
- Polymer electrolyte fuel cells (PEFC) fabrication, characterization and testing
- Polymer electrolyte water electrolyzer cells (PEWE) fabrication, characterization and testing
- Electrochemical system simulation: Developer of OpenFCST (the open-source fuel cell simulation toolbox)
* Analysis and design of cooling towers
* Multidisciplinary design and optimization
- Multi-objective optimization
- Sensitivity analysis
- Shape and topology optimization
- Robust design
* P. Mangal, L. M. Pant, N. Carrigy, M. Dumontier, V. Zingan, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Experimental study of mass transport in PEMFCs: Through plane permeability and molecular diffusivity in GDLs", Electrochimica Acta, 167:160-171, 2015
* S. Shukla, K. Domican, K. Karan, S. Bhattacharjee and M. Secanell, "Analysis of Low Platinum Loading Thin Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Electrodes Prepared by Inkjet Printing", Electrochimica Acta, 156:289–300, 2015.
* M. Bhaiya, A. Putz and M. Secanell, "Analysis of non-isothermal effects on polymer electrolyte fuel cell electrode assemblies", Electrochimica Acta, 147C:294-309, 2014.
* L. M. Pant, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Stochastic Reconstruction using Multiple Correlation Functions with Different Phase Neighbors based Pixel Selection", Physical Review E, 90:023306, 2014
* A. Z. Weber, R. L. Borup, R. M. Darling, P. K. Das, T. J. Dursch, W. Gu, D. Harvey, A. Kusoglu, S. Litster, M. M. Mench, R. Mukundan, J. P. Owejan, J. G. Pharoah, M. Secanell and I. V. Zenyuk, "A Critical Review of Modeling Transport Phenomena in Polymer-Electrolyte Fuel Cells", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 161(12):F1254-F1299, 2014.
* M. Moore, A. Putz and M. Secanell, "Investigation of the ORR Using the Double-Trap Intrinsic Kinetic Model", Journal of the Electrochemical Society 160(6): F670-F681, 2013
* N. Carrigy , L. Pant, S. Mitra, M. Secanell, "Knudsen Diffusivity and Permeability of PEMFC Microporous Coated Gas Diffusion Layers for Different Polytetrafluoroethylene Loadings", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160(2):F81-F89, 2013
* L. Pant , S. Mitra, M. Secanell, "A Generalized Mathematical Model to Study Gas Transport in PEMFC Porous Media" ,International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 58(1–2):70–79, 2013
* L. M. Pant, S. Mitra and M. Secanell, "Absolute permeability and Knudsen diffusivity measurements in PEMFC gas diffusion layers and micro porous layers", Journal of Power Sources, Volume 206, pp. 153-160, 2012.
* P. Dobson, C. Lei, T. Navessin, M. Secanell, "Characterization of the PEM Fuel Cell Catalyst Layer Microstructure by Nonlinear Least-Squares Parameter Estimation", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159(5), B1-B10, 2012. DOI: 10.1149/2.041205jes
* L. M. Pant, M. Secanell and S. Mitra, "Modiﬁed Multi-Component Gas Transport Formulation with Phoretic Effects", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Volume 11, Number 6, pp.725-742, 2011
* M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny, "Advanced optimization strategies for cost-sensitive design of energy storage flywheel rotors", Journal of Advanced Materials 43(2):65-78, 2011
* M .Secanell, J. Wishart, P. Dobson, "Computational design and optimization of fuel cells and fuel cell systems: A review", Journal of Power Sources, 196(8):3690-3704, 2011
* M. Lagravere, M. Secanell, J. Carey and P. Major, "Optimization Analysis for Plane Orientation in Three-Dimensional Cephalometric Analysis of Serial CBCT Images”, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, 111(6):771-777, 2011
* M. Krack, M. Secanell, P. Mertiny, "Cost optimization of a hybrid composite flywheel rotor with a split-type hub using combined analytical/numerical models", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 44(1):57-73, 2011
* M. Secanell, R. Songprakorp, N. Djilali, A. Suleman, "Optimization of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell membrane electrode assembly". Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 40(1-6) 563-583, 2010.
* M. Secanell, R. Songprakorp, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Multi-Objective Optimization of a Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Membrane Electrode Assembly", Energy and Environmental Sciences, 1(3) 378 - 388, 2008.
* M. Secanell, K. Karan, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Optimal Design of Ultra-Low Platinum PEMFC Anode Electrodes", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155(2) B125-B134, 2008.
* M. Secanell, K. Karan, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Multi-Variable Optimization of PEMFC Cathodes using an Agglomerate Model ", Electrochimica Acta, 52(22):6318-6337, 2007.
* M. Secanell, B. Carnes, A. Suleman and N. Djilali, "Numerical Optimization of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Cathode Electrodes ", Electrochimica Acta, 52(7):2668-2682, February 2007.
* J. Wishart, Z. Dong and M. Secanell, "Optimization of a PEM Fuel Cell System Based on Empirical Data and a Generalized Electrochemical Semi-Empirical Model", Journal of Power Sources, 161(2):1041-1055, October 2006.
* M. Secanell, P. Gamboa and A. Suleman, "Design of a Morphing Airfoil for a Light Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Using High-Fidelity Aerodynamic Shape Optimization ", AIAA Journal, 44(7):1550-1562, July 2006.
* M. Secanell and A. Suleman, "Study of Sequential Optimization Algorithms for Application to Aerodynamic Shape Optimization;, AIAA Journal, 43(10):2262-2267, October 2005.