Area of Study / Keywords
My ECHO (translating Evidence in Child Health to improve Outcomes) research program focuses on knowledge translation in pediatric health settings to improve outcomes for children, their families, and the health care system. The goal of knowledge translation activities is to increase the use of relevant knowledge, commonly research, among clinicians, managers, administrators, and policy makers. Knowledge translation problems are complex because they involve behavior change among providers working in complex and high velocity health care organizations. In my research program, I explore the reasons why research is used or not and what facilitates and hinders this process, with a particular focus on elements of the context or work environment.
SELECTED CURRENT GRANTS
- Scott, S.D., Flynn, R. (2019). Pan SCN Sustainability Research. Alberta Health Services ($23,587). 2019-2020.
- Scott, S.D., Knisley, L. (2019). Engaging Metis citizens in Manitoba in the development of child health resources. SPOR Evidence Alliance Seed Grant ($10,000). June 2019-June 2020.
- Scott, S.D., Hartling, L. (2018). Distinguished Researcher Funding. Women and Children’s Health Research Institute & Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation ($1,000,000). 2019-2024.
- Scott, S.D., Hartling, L., Newton, A., Stang, A., Robinson, J., Elliot, S. (2018). Establishing priorities in child health research: giving parents and youth a voice. Women and Children’s Health Research Institute Innovation Grant ($49,913). 2018/07-2020/06.
- Scott. S.D. (2018). Faculty of Nursing CRC Support ($100,000). 2018-2023.
- Scott, S.D. (2018). Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) for KT in Child Health, Renewal 2018-2023, Government of Canada ($500,000).
- Scott, S.D. (co-PI) & Hartling L (co-PI), Ali, S., Currie, G., Dyson, M.,Fernandes, R., Fleck, B., Freedman, S., Jabbour, M., Johnson, D., Junker, A., Klassen, T., Maynard, D., Newton, A., Plint, A., Richer, L., Robinson, J., Robson, K., Vandall-Walker, V [all collaborators listed in alphabetical order]. (2016) Integrating evidence and parent engagement to optimize children’s healthcare. CIHR Foundation Scheme ($2,500,000). July 2016-June 2023.
- Ali, S., Elliott, S., Hartling, L., Scott, S.D., Wright, E. (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on pediatric emergency care: A living scoping review. Emergency SCN – AHS. $14,495. May 1, 2021-April 30, 2022.
- Castro-Codesal, M., Alexander, T., Rowe, B., Scott, S.D., Macintyre, E., Olmstead, D. Patients and families perspectives of benefits and burdens of long-term non-invasive ventilation in children: a survey study. Women and Children’s Health Research Institute CRISP Grant. $20,000. 2020-2021.
- Hilario, C., Dimitropoulos, G., Scott, S.D. (mentor and coinvestigator). Investigating the impacts of COVID-19 on the mental health of adolescents in Alberta. Women and Children’s Health Research Institute CRISP Grant. $19,991.71. 2020-2021.
- Hartling, L., Ali, S., Elliott, S., Felkar, B., Reiter, E., Scott, S.D., Stauffer, B., Dennett, E. Animal-assisted interventions ("Pet Therapy") in emergency department and ambulatory care: a systematic review. Emergency Strategic Clinical Network (ESCN) Grant ($15,000). 2020.
- Yeates, K., et al., Scott, S.D. (2020). Canadian Concussion Network. CIHR Network Catalyst Grant ($1,500,000). 2020-2025.
- Meherali, S., Scott, S.D., Salami, B., Valliantos, H., Hilario, C., Jackson, M. (2019). Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs of Immigrant Adolescents. Women & Children Health Research Institute CRISP Grant ($20,000). April 2020-March 2023.
- Salami, B., Okeke-Iherjirika, P., Salma, J., Scott, S.D., Vallianatos, H., Yohani, S., Alaazi, D., Ayalew, T., Islam, B., Ndem, A., Nsaliwa, C., Urichuk, L. (2018) A Participatory Action Research Project to Promote the Mental Health of African Immigrant Children in Alberta. Women & Children Health Research Institute Bridge Funding ($40,000). May 2018-May 2019.
- Samuel, S.M., Dimitropoulos, G., Mackie, A., Andrew, G., Guilcher, G., Hamiwka, L., Klarenbach, S., Lang, E., McBrien, K., Nettle-Aguirre, A., Pacaud, D., Pinzon, J., Scott, S.D., Zwaigenbaum, L. (2017) Evaluating Innovations in Transition to Adult Care: Transition Navigator Trial. CIHR Project Grant ($761,175). September 2017-September 2021.
- Klassen, T.P., Samina, A., Freedman, S.B., Lacaze-Masmonteil, T., Offringa, M., Pechlivanoglou, P., Pling A.M., Poonai, N., Richer, L.P., Hickes, S., Jong, G.W., Moore Hepburn, C., Scott, S.D., Hartling, L. (2017) Innovation in Pediatric Clinical Trials. SPOR Innovative Clinical Trial Multi-Year Grants ($8,400,000). March 2017-March 2021.
- Tricco, A. et al. Scott, S. (2017) SPOR REACH Network. Canadian Institutes of Health (CIHR) Operating Grant. ($4,997,000) July 2017-2022.