Kristof is interested in evolution and innovation in governance, with focus areas in spatial planning and design, development and environmental policy. He worked in various countries, and often combines fieldwork with theoretical reflection: systems theories, interpretive policy analysis, institutional economics, post- structuralism. He held visiting positions at McGill University, Krakov Agricultural University, Wageningen University, Bonn University. Geographically, his work spans Europe, the America’s, Central Asia and the Caucasus. He published widely on these topics.
Kristof is also associated with Wageningen University, where he is Visiting Associate Professor in Strategic Communication, and with Bonn University, where he is Research Fellow at ZEF/ Institute for Development Research. At UAlberta, he also works at Faculty of Extension and has affiliation as Adjunct Professor with the Faculty of Agricultural and Life Sciences (Human Ecology).
- Innovation and evolution in governance
- Environmental policy & natural resource governance
- Rural development
- Spatial planning & design
- Institutional design in/and transitional societies
- Theory of development & planning
At University of Alberta, I am teaching mostly within the planning program.
- Planning Theory
- Community planning & policy
- Rural development & planning
- International planning & development
- Planning theory & practice