I am a Professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Alberta. I grew up in France and I have a Ph.D. from Toulouse School of Economics. I previously held positions at Concordia University in Montreal and Iowa State University in Ames (USA). I have been a visiting fellow at Toulouse School of Economics, INRA in Grenoble, the Department of Economics in Rennes, and the Department of Economics in Pau, France.
Editor: Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 7/2019 -
Fields of Research: Industrial Organization, Applied Microeconomics, Agricultural Economics
My primary field of research is Industrial Organization, with research interests in Intellectual Property Rights, innovation, and problems related to agricultural markets. My research is concerned with the limits of patent protection and focuses on the strategic behaviour of innovators. I also have investigated the impact of regulation on research investments, the economic implications of litigation, and the welfare implications of changes in the patent system.
- “Determinants of Locational Patenting Behavior of Canadian Firms,” with Andrew Eckert and Long Zhao, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 31:4, 268-291, 2022.
- “Departure and Promotion of U.S. Patent Examiners: Do Patent Characteristics Matter?” with Stéphanie Lluis, Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 39, 2, 416-434, 2021.
- “Monetary and Implicit Incentives of the Patent Examiners,” with Philippe Marcoul, Journal of Economics and Business, Vol 110, 2020.
- “Green Technology and Patents in the Presence of Green Consumers,” with Amrita Ray Chaudhuri, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Vol. 7, 1, 73-101, 2020.
- “Subjective Performance of Patent Examiners, Implicit Contracts and Self-Funded Patent Offices,” with Philippe Marcoul, Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 40, 3, 251-266, 2019. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.2999
- “Plant Breeders' Rights, Patents and Incentives to Innovate,” with Adrien Hervouet, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 43(1), 118-150, 2018.
- “The Search of Prior Art, and the Revelation of Information by Patent Applicants,” with Philippe Marcoul, Review of Industrial Organization 49(3), 399-427, 2016.
- “Spatial Efficiency of Genetically Modified and Organic Crops,” with Stefan Ambec and Philippe Marcoul, Strategic Behavior and the Environment, 5:31-59, 2015.
- “A Survey of the Economics of Patent Systems and Procedures,” with Andrew Eckert, The Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol 28, 5, 996-1015, 2014.
- “Pool of Basic Patents and Follow-up Innovations,” Economic Inquiry, Vol. 49, Issue 4, pp. 1070-1082, 2011.
- “Are Intellectual Property Rights Detrimental to Innovation?” with Claude Crampes, International Journal of the Economics of Business, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp 249-268, 2009.
- “Contributory Infringement Rule and Patents,” with Philippe Marcoul, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 70 pp 296–310, 2009.
- “Agricultural Production Clubs: Viability and Welfare Implications,” with B. Babcock, Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization: Vol. 6 : Iss. 1, Article 10, 2008. Available at: http://www.bepress.com/jafio/vol6/iss1/art10
- “Incentives to Reduce Crop Trait Durability,” with Stefan Ambec and Stéphane Lemarié, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 90(2), pp. 379-391, 2008.
- “Technology Licensing to a Rival,” with Caroline Boivin, Economics Bulletin, vol.12, 14, pp. 1-8, 2005.
- “Using Patents to Mislead Rivals,” Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 38, 2, pp. 520-545, 2005.
- “Are Patents Strategic Barriers to Entry?” Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 56, 5, pp. 349-361, 2004.
- “Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases,” with Claude Crampes, RAND Journal of Economics, vol. 33, 4, pp 258-274, 2002.
- “The Economics of Patents: An Overview,” with GianCarlo Moschini in “Intellectual Property Rights and Patenting in Animal Breeding and Genetics,” edited by Scott Newman and Max Rothschild, CABI Publishing, 2002.
- “Information Disclosure in the Renewal of Patents,” with Claude Crampes, Les Annales d'Economie et Statistique, 49-50, pp. 265-288, 1998. Reprinted in The Economics and Econometrics of Innovation, ed. Encaoua, Hall, Laisney, Mairesse, Kluwer academic publishers, 2000.
- “Green Patents in an Oligopolistic Market with Green Consumers,” with Amrita Ray Chaudhuri
- “The effect of Patent Continuation on the Patenting Process”
- “Merger Review under Asymmetric Information,” with Amrita Ray Chaudhuri
- “Direct and Indirect Reciprocity in Public Goods Games,” with Emilie Zentner, Maik Kecinski, and Vic Adamowicz
- “The Economics of Geographical Indications: Welfare Implications,” with Ramona Teuber and Sven Anders
Work in Progress
- “Bundle of Patents and Licensing of Biotechnology Traits” with Stéphane Lemarié
- “Spatial Management of Pesticide Resistance” with Sylvie Charlot and Philippe Marcoul
ECON 471 - Strategic Behavior of the Firm
ECON 505 - Microeconomic Theory II