Mark Haykowsky, Ph.D., FACC, FAHA, FACSM
Pronouns: "he, him, his"
Professor, Faculty of Nursing
Area of Study / Keywords
Aging; Heart Failure; Cardiooncology; Oxygen Transport & Utilization; Sports Cardiology
PUBMED LINK: https://pubmed-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.login.ezproxy.library.ualberta.ca/?term=Haykowsky+OR+Haykowski+OR+haykowksy+OR+Ph D MJH
- Professor & Research Chair in Aging and Quality of Life, Faculty of Nursing, College of Health Sciences.
- My internationally recognized research program examines the biological mechanisms underpinning the decline in cardiovascular health and cardiorespiratory fitness across the healthy aging and heart failure continuum, and the role of lifestyle interventions to improve cardiovascular and skeletal muscle function. A second research area is in the cardiooncology field with specific focus on the role of exercise training to prevent cardiovascular and skeletal muscle deconditioning across the breast cancer survivorship continuum. A final research focus is in sport cardiology and cardiac mechanics in athletes.
- Published >300 peer-reviewed articles (Google Scholar: h-index: 79; i10-index: 222; Citations: 21,307)
- EXPERTSCAPE World’s Top Experts:
- 2nd out of 75,391 published authors worldwide of "Oxygen Consumption" World Experts
- 5th out of 32,518 published authors worldwide of "Exercise Tolerance" World Experts
- 28th out of 428,894 published authors worldwide of "Exercise" World Experts.
- Invited or keynote speaker for over 230 Local, National, or International Scientific Meetings.
- PI/Co-I for 51 grants including CIHR and NIH.
- Expert Working Group Member for several National Institutes of Health (NHLBI, NIA) initiatives including the most recent meeting focusing on potential extracardiac contributors to HFpEF in older adults (https://www-sciencedirect-com.login.ezproxy.library.ualberta.ca/science/article/pii/S0735109721056916?via%3Dihub)
- Supervised / Committee member for 120 trainees.
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (FACC).
- Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA).
- Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM).
Courses Taught: NURS 311 - EVIDENCE INFORMED NURSING PRACTICE
NURS 596 - RESEARCH FOUNDATIONS