Veronica Smith, PhD
Priority given to graduate students in the Master of Education in Health Sciences Education program. This course provides an overview of the foundational principles, methods, ethics, and standards that underpin evaluation. These principles will be considered within the various contexts of health sciences education. Sections are offered at an increased rate of fee assessment.
This course is concerned with aspects of human learning, cognition, and the practical application of these theories and methods within education.
Prerequisite: EDPY 510 or equivalent.
Research - Parent and Child Early (PACE) Coaching Project
2017 to 2020
I am co-investigator on a large research project that was funded by the British Columbia Ministry of Child and Family Development. The aim of the project is to develop, implement, and evaluate an evidence-based parent coaching intervention for children aged 15 to 30 months who are at risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). To this end, we have partnered with early interventionists in 14 communities in BC to achieve the following aims:
1. To establish an authentic community of practice for parent coaching in each and across the participating communities;
2. To identify best/promising practices that will optimize future implementation of the parent coaching model in diverse settings;
3. To train early interventionists to coach parents of at-risk children to use strategies that will facilitate optimal development with fidelity in home and community settings;
4. To examine the effectiveness of the parent coaching model by conducting a randomized controlled trial (RCT); and
5. To conduct a cost-effectiveness analysis that compares parent coaching to services that are ordinarily available to toddlers at risk for ASD in BC.
As co-investigator, my primary role in the project is objective #2, to identify the promising practices that will optimize future implementation of the service across the province.
Can an Infant be a Catalyst for Change? Considering Context and Process in the Evaluation of the “Roots of Empathy” Program
Schonert-Reichl, K., Smith, V., & Zaidman-Zait, A.
Smith, V., Zaidman-Zait, A., & Mirenda, P.
Smith, V., & Bopp, K.
Smith, V., & Siegel, L.
Smith, V., & Zaidman-Zait, A.