Provides an overview to the study of child language development and an introduction to educational considerations in teaching students with language or communication disorders. Students may not receive credit for both EDPY 472 and EDPSY 450.Fall Term 2020
2017 - 2020
I am co-investigator on a large research project that was funded by the British Columbia Ministry of Child and Family Development. The aim of the project is to develop, implement, and evaluate an evidence-based parent coaching intervention for children aged 15 to 30 months who are at risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). To this end, we have partnered with early interventionists in 14 communities in BC to achieve the following aims:
1. To establish an authentic community of practice for parent coaching in each and across the participating communities;
2. To identify best/promising practices that will optimize future implementation of the parent coaching model in diverse settings;
3. To train early interventionists to coach parents of at-risk children to use strategies that will facilitate optimal development with fidelity in home and community settings;
4. To examine the effectiveness of the parent coaching model by conducting a randomized controlled trial (RCT); and
5. To conduct a cost-effectiveness analysis that compares parent coaching to services that are ordinarily available to toddlers at risk for ASD in BC.
As co-investigator, my primary role in the project is objective #2, to identify the promising practices that will optimize future implementation of the service across the province.